The funny thing is I learned how to make a complete Thanksgiving meal from start to finish in my early twenties. It was something I wanted to know how to do. I felt by having the classic all American feast under my belt, it was like earning a well deserved medal. My Auntie Rosie showed me the basic ropes and since then I have made my way testing and switching up ingredients every year to get to my ultimate dinner on the table. I personally crave the combination of sweet with my savory. I like to have several options for candied dishes on my big plate of savory to mix and match between cranberry sauce and turkey or yams with stuffing. Some people think of the yams as a dessert when paired with marshmallows, but seriously they belong on the main plate. There is plenty of other desserts to choose from and yams and apples shouldn’t be one of them.
This simple dish can be made up to 2 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge. When ready for the big feast… pop it in the oven to bake. Check out this easy to make recipe and find all the ingredients at your local Walmart….. I did.
Ingredients for apple yam crumble:
- 1 – cinnamon stick
- 4 – medium sized yams (peeled and cut into 1″ cubes)
- 6 – small granny smith apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1/2 – cup brown sugar
- 4 – tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 – cup honey
- 1 – cup mini marshmallows
- 1 – cup brown sugar
- 1 – cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 – cup flour
- 1/2 – teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 – teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 – teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – stick butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a medium saucepan halfway filled with water over a medium flame add in cinnamon stick and bring to a boil.
- Peel and cut yams and apples.
- Boil yams in water for 10 minutes.
- Drain yams and remove cinnamon stick. Set yams to the side.
- Butter a 11×8 casserole dish, and add apples and boiled yams in. Mix to combine. Set to the side.
- In a small saucepan over a medium low flame melt sugar and butter together. Mix until combined. Add in honey and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour over the yam and apples. Mix to ensure all yams and apples are coated in sugar honey mixture.
- Top with marshmallows. Set to the side.
- Let’s make the crumble.
- Add sugar, graham cracker, flour, cinnamon, and salt to a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add in pecans, vanilla, and melted butter. Mix with hands until fully combined.
- Spread crumble over the entire top of yams and apples.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.