If you know me, then you know I heart coffee cake big time. I seek it out, I crave it, and I go absolutely bonkers when I find a good one. Rarely do I make it myself….. I don’t really know why that is, maybe from sheer fear that I will eat every last crumb and share none. I get stingy and greedy when I have a good piece of coffee cake in front of me, it’s kinda funny to see. Here is my solution to a piece of coffee cake…. I made coffee cupcakes…. that way I will know exactly how many I’m eating and it forces me to share. In this case, I curse the cupcake, but I know it’s the right thing to do.
Ingredients for Mango Rum Streusel Cupcakes:
- 1 – box of yellow cake mix (make batter according to package with eggs, water, and oil)
- 1 – mango (peeled, cut, and diced into small little cubes)
- 2/3 – cup flour
- 1/2 – cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 – cup sugar
- 1/2 – cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 – teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 – tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 – tablespoon rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Mix cake mix according to box, by mixing cake mix, oil, water and eggs together until combined.
- Line a cupcake pan with cup cake liners.
- Add 1/4 cup of batter to each cupcake holder.
- Peel and cut mango into small cubes.
- Then add a teaspoon of mango to the top of each cupcake holder. Set to the side.
- In a bowl combine flour, almonds, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Give it a good mix.
- With the tips of your fingers bend in the butter until fully incorporated.
- Once streusel becomes crumbly, pour rum over the top then toss crumbly streusel to combine.
- Top each cupcake with 1 teaspoon of streusel.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for an hour.