The other day I was driving with my girlfriend A-dre and I told her how I just LOVE these cherries that Melissa’s Produce sends me from time to time. I went on to tell her they are unlike any cherry I have ever had. No farmers market, or specialty market has ever offered me a cherry so fine. PERFECT is the only word that comes to mind when trying to describe them. They are firm with no mush, they are sweet and juicy, and delightful. Unfortunately they are almost out of season, but in the meantime we should celebrate every moment eating these fine specimens. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I will miss my sweet cherries!
Ingredients For Pecan Cherry Pancakes:
- 1 1/2 – cups flour
- 2 – teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 – teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 – tablespoons sugar
- 2 – eggs
- 1 1/2 – cups buttermilk
- 1 – cup milk
- 3 1/2 – tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- 1/2 – teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 – cup chopped pecans
- 15 – cherries (pitted and cut in half) (I use Melissa’s Produce)
- butter or nonstick spray
- maple syrup
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Give it a good whisk.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, milk, butter, and vanilla, then mix really well.
- Then add the flour mixture to the milk mixture. Mix together until combined. You don’t want your mixture to be perfectly smooth. Leave some lumps in there.
- In a large frying pan lightly brush with melted butter or mist with a non stick cooking spray and place over a medium flame. Allow pan to get hot then take 1/4 cup of batter and pour into pan…. the batter will spread slightly then top with a 3 cherry halves and a pinch of pecans.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the batter starts to have little holes in it. Some will even pop.
- Flip pancake and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from flame and spread butter on top and drizzle with syrup.