Bright yellow custard. Sweet tangy lemon. Meaty coconut. Wrapped in English short bread cookie crust. Chewy and magnetically addictive. If they only existed on another planet, I’d have to book my flight. They could transport me to a coffee shop across the Atlantic with brick stone roads and cold air. Or I could easily be on a beach with the ocean crashing at my feet… that’s how these bars make me feel. Close my eyes and entwined in their delicious magic I feel adventurous.
Ingredients for Lemon Coconut Bars:
- 1 1/2 – sticks of butter (12 tablespoons) (room temperature)
- 1/2 – cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 – cup flour
- 1/4 – teaspoon salt
- 2 – cups sugar
- 4 – eggs
- 3/4 – cup fresh squeezed lemon juice ( I used Melissa’s Produce seedless lemons)
- 4 – tablespoons flour
- 1 – cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/4 – cup powdered sugar
- Spray a 8×8 or baker’s edge pan with non stick cooking spray, or grease then sugar dust. Set to the side
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a mixer cream together butter and powdered sugar for about 3 minutes.
- Then add in flour and salt and mix until dough comes together.
- Press dough into the bottom of baking pan.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until dough turns slightly browned at the edge.
- Remove from oven and set to the side. Leave the oven on.
- Now to make the filling.
- In a mixer add in sugar and eggs and mix until completely combined and mixture turns a light yellowish color. About 5 to 6 minutes on a medium high speed.
- Then pour in lemon juice, and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and mix for another minute. Then fold in coconut.
- Pour lemon/coconut mixture over shortbread crust.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. 25 minutes for them to set, or if you like them a little more golden 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 3 hours.
- Once cooled, run a knife along the edge
- Then with the remaining powdered sugar…sift it over the top.
- Cut and Enjoy!!!!!