It’s breakfast time again here at Presley’s Pantry. I promise to stop with the breakfast posts for a little while after this one. I use to dislike Oatmeal with a fierce passion. I’ll just say it out loud… I LOVE OATMEAL now (click over to Babble for the whole story on my sudden love with oatmeal). For my nearest and dearest who are snickering at that remark calling me a hypocrite through a whisper in their teeth, I have declared a change of heart. Now when I open my eyes in the a.m. I can’t wait to get my hands on a bowl. I’m still playing around with different combos of steel cut love, but here is one I have been quite pleased with lately. Enjoy it!
Ingredients for Cherry Hazelnut Farro Oatmeal:
- 5 – cups water
- 1 – Melissa’s Produce vanilla bean pod (split down the middle)
- 1 – cinnamon stick
- 1 – cup steel cut oatmeal
- 1/2 – cup Melissa’s Produce farro
- 1/3 – cup brown sugar
- 1/3 – cup Melissa’s Produce hazelnuts (chopped)
- 1/2 – cup Melissa’s Produce cherries (pitted and cut in half)
- 1 – cup milk or 1/2 & 1/2
- Cherry jam (optional)
- In a pot over a medium flame add water, vanilla bean pod, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil.
- Add in oatmeal and farro, give it a good stir and bring to a boil.
- Once oatmeal/farro are boiling, cover pot with a lid and lower the flame to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot in a bowl and garnish with brown sugar, hazelnuts, cherries, and milk. Add cherry jam if you like things extra sweet.