I made this recipe for the first time about 6 years ago. I found myself in a strange house a top the hill in Mount Washington. My Aunt Brilla was here in Los Angeles visiting, and had rented this beautiful home, it being my first time in this kitchen made cooking a little difficult since I had no idea where anything was. I searched the drawers and cabinets and could only find a baking dish, a sharp knife and a frying pan. We had a house full of visitors who had come by to see my Aunt since she’s not in town that often and many of them were vegetarians. I thought fast on my feet and started frying up some cubed potatoes to make a vegetable stuffing for the pile of bell peppers a friend had brought over. Simple. Delicious. Easy to make. I stuffed the peppers popped them in the oven for 45 to an hour and by the time they were done so was the rest of the meal.
Ingredients for Baked Stuffed Bell Peppers:
- 3 – Idaho Potatoes (peeled, diced into cubes and fried til crisp and cooked through)
- 1/2 – cup cheddar cheese (cubed)
- 1/2 – cup pepper jack cheese (cubed)
- 1/2 – cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 3/4 – cup tomato (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 – onion (sliced)
- 8 – mushrooms (chopped into quarters)
- 2 – tablespoons butter
- 10 – fresh basil leaves (torn into pieces)
- 4 – slices of rosemary bread (toasted and cut into cubes)
- 1 – tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1/2 – vegetable broth
- 10 – bell peppers
- Preheat oven to degrees Fahrenheit
- Fry potatoes and once cooked remove from flame and set to the side.
- Cut cheeses, and tomatoes and set to the side.
- In a frying pan add butter and saute onion and mushrooms together for about 10 minutes or until onions are limp. Remove from heat and set to the side.
- Toast Rosemary bread and cut into cubes. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl add potatoes, cheeses, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms, basil leaf pieces, toast, and garlic. Mix well. Then pour broth over top and mix again. Set stuffing mixture to the side.
- Wash and dry bell peppers. Then cut off tops of bell peppers (reserve tops to the side) and remove seeds and veins from the inside. Set to the side.
- Place empty bell peppers in a baking dish, then once they are snug take a huge spoonful of stuffing mixture and fill to the top. Then top each pepper with the top.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.