I adore Italian food. It is one of my favorite things to eat. I dream of pasta and a gorgeous sauce smothered in cheese all the time but for some reason can never get my hands around a decent bowl or plate of pasta. I think of the simple ways I’ve enjoyed Italian sauce in the past with just garlic a little basil and Hunt’s tomato sauce…. I fantasized about eating lasagna then realize I will have to make it myself if I want it done as it is in my dreams. Then my good friend Average Betty released her video of a crock pot lasagna. I thought “That’s it? I’ll make my version and let the Crock pot do all the work.” I’ll take my stress level down a notch and enjoy lovely lasagna and life will be happy! Next thing I know my Momma comes along and says she wants some lasagna as well. Great! Just so you know my Momma is a vegetarian, so I start building a meatless sauce in my head. Nothing too fussy or complicated, just simple and delicious. Plus I want my son to have a serving and he’s only 3 so I’m trying to be mindful of his young palate. I’ll definitely need Hunt’s chopped tomatoes, a few veggies, and a variety of yummy cheeses. That was the hardest part about this recipe, making the sauce, the rest is a walk in the park. I used raw noodles as I always do when making lasagna even in the oven, grated some cheese, assembled, put the lid on the crock pot, and set the timer to 2 1/2 hours on high. Walked away a carefree Momma, knowing dinner was taking care of it’s self tonight. My family was thrilled, and I will be using this method for lasagna making from here on out.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Lasagna:
- 1 – tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – whole onion (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 – whole yellow bell pepper (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 – tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 – teaspoon dried basil
- 1 – pinch dried oregano
- 2 – cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 – can (14.5 – ounce) Hunt’s diced tomatoes
- 1 – can (29 – ounce) Hunt’s tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- a box of lasagna noodles ( I use Barilla)
- 1 1/4 – cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 – cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 – cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 15 – ounces ricotta cheese
- In a pot over a medium flame add in olive oil and allow to get hot. Then add in onion and yellow bell pepper. Saute for 5 till 10 minutes.
- Add in garlic, basil, oregano, and mushrooms. Mix well and continue to saute for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove sauce from flame and set to the side.
- Pour a cup and half of sauce on the bottom of the Crock Pot.
- Then break the lasagna noodles to fit the crock pot. Place them in snuggly.
- Then add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 5 tablespoons ricotta cheese to the top of the lasagna noodles.
- Add another layer of lasagna noodles (this time going in the opposite direction).
- Then add a cup and a half sauce, then the cheese (same measurements as before), then lasagna noodles and so forth until you end with the cheese layer on top. Place lid on top of Crock pot and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Enjoy! Your lasagna will be deep dish and delicious.