Chocolate Chip Choco-Flan for your Special Valentine

Having a toddler really makes you appreciate your plastic ware….  I can’t tell you how many of my glass measuring cups and spoons have met their demise shattered all over my kitchen floor.  The light bulb went on and I invested in plastic ware instead.  Toddlers also make you realize how your alone time with your Valentine can almost become non-existant unless you carefully plan out an adventure for two.  Me and my honey celebrated V-day early (that’s when we could get a babysitter) with a picnic in the woods….  I of course made one of his favorite treats, Choco-Flan.  Thanks to all the stars in the sky my plastic carrier got the precious cargo from point A to point B in one piece.

Chocolate Cake Ingredients:

1/2 – cup cajeta

1 – box devils food chocolate cake mix (add water, vegetable oil, and eggs according to box directions)

1/4 – cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

In a mixer bowl, combine chocolate box mix cake water,  eggs, and vegetable oil.  Mix on medium for 2 minutes on slow, then bring the speed up to medium high for 2 more minutes.

In a 12 cup bundt pan.  Coat with a non-stick baking spray, then pour in cajeta to bottom of pan.

Then take cake batter and slowly pour over cajeta.

In a tea kettle, fill with water and place over a high flame. While waiting for water to boil, make flan blend.

Flan Ingredients:

4 – ounces cream cheese (I use Philadelphia Cream Cheese at room temperature)

1 – 12 0z. can of evaporated milk

1 – 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk

1/2 – tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 – tablespoon almond extract

4 – large eggs

In a blender add cream cheese, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, and eggs. Blend on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Once flan mixture is blended, slowly pour in a circle over cake batter, a little bit at a time.  Then sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.

Next take a piece of aluminum foil (enough to cover top of bundt pan) and coat with non-stick baking spray.  Loosely place sprayed aluminum foil on top of bundt pan and cover. Then place covered bundt pan in a large baking dish and fill halfway with super hot water from tea kettle.

Lastly, place the covered pan in hot bath in oven on middle rack and let bake for 1 hour.

Once cake is baked,  remove from hot bath and remove aluminum foil.  Let cool in the pan for 2 hours, next run a butter knife along the edge of pan to pull cake away from pan, then flip it over onto a plate.  Or on the plate of a cake carrier.

Slowly lift pan up away from plate.  There you have it….PERFECT Choco-FLAN!  Put it in the fridge for another 6 hours and eat it chilled.  If you are taking the cake to a party  top with the carrier lid and transport your choco-flan safe and sound.

Hecho Con Amor!!

All Photos by Mando Lopez
Disclosure:  This post is part of the Plastics make it Possible for Valentine Bloggers Bake OFF campaign.  Thank you Ogilvy Public Relations for making me the featured baker.  I was provided with bakeware to aid this recipe.

This entry was posted in Presley's Panaderia "Bakery", Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Chocolate Chip Choco-Flan for your Special Valentine

1. Itzel Yagual says:

Wow that is beautiful! I am having a sweet tooth!

2. Gicel says:

This choco-flan is heavenly! I will TRY and make it…apparently my Valentine is a choco-flan fan now. :)

Did you make this for me?! Awww thanks! :)

4. Geez Louise! says:

holy moly! that looks swell! 2 desserts in 1…

5. Sarah says:

Wow! That has to be one of the prettiest desserts I have ever seen!

6. Laurita says:

Oh. Dear. God. *drools*

7. wow. chocolate cake and flan… how interesting…. i’m working on my #FlanFridays V-day flan, too! I’m thinking chocolate, but in a super crazy way! I love how you added the V-day candies on the side. And, I’m glad yours made it to the picnic area in one piece!

8. Unknown Mami says:

Yup, I’m thinking someone should make it for me.

9. Nicole!!! Siempre me dejas con muchos antojos! This looks delicious!! Can I go to celebrate with you guys?lol

10. Cristina says:

What? Chocolate and flan? I’m drooling! Looks soooooo good!

11. Sujeiry says:

You had me at chocolate chip! Never tried this but I adore chocolate!

12. Gorgeous! Just an FYI this would totally never make it to anyone. I’m a chocolate addict so I’d have to enjoy this solo!

13. Firstly, congratulations on being chosen Ogilvy’s featured blogger/baker for the Valentine’s Bake-off! Secondly, I love how you mixed it up by combining a traditional flan, cake, and even chocolate chip cookie recipes. You are the definition of fusion!

14. Corina says:

Looks gorgeous, and actually sounds less complicated to make than it looks.

15. Debby says:

I found your chocoflan recipe and am super excited to try it. I love chocoflan! I have a question about it. You poured the cake batter in first and then the flan mixture after. I’m assuming that the flan settles to the bottom while baking??

I have attempted chocoflan before but with brownie mix and it didn’t turn out.

Please keep me posted. I’d love to try this version. Thanks!

Debby

16. Lizet Marin says:

I LOVE your blog… I have made several of chocoflans cakes and they have been a Success! By far the most easy and yummy recipe ever.

17. Vycki says:

My family adores your Choco-flan…it’s super easy & looks amazing. I’ve been asked to bake it again for the 4th of July. :-)

18. Shierlyn tac-al says:

I baked it twice and all my friends love it.thank you for the reciepe!

19. Shierlyn tac-al says:

I mean i made it twice and my friends always love it.