In the SNACK of time: Raspados Zacatecas

Snackas of the day: Raspado de fruta natural from Raspados Zacatecas.  When I think of shaved ice or raspados I instantly picture a bright colored corn syrup made of dye and glucose being dispensed from a pump.  That is not the case at Raspados Zacatecas.  They make big jugs of natural fruit juice laced with chunks of fruit inside.  Pick a flavor and they will soak your shaved ice in a fruity fruit juice.  My flavor of choice is coconut strawberry.  I slurp the juice from the straw and when the straw gets clogged with fruit I turn to a spoon.  NO ONE in this city of angels makes such a healthy raspado.  Venture to East LA to try the best, but if you find yourself there on a hot Saturday or Sunday be prepared for a long line.

All photos taken by: Nicole Presley

This entry was posted in Snacky Snack Snackas. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to In the SNACK of time: Raspados Zacatecas

1. jessica says:

They are so good.

2. Gicel says:

I visit this place religiously and not ONCE have I ordered a raspado. I go for their ALL natural fruit yogurts…and I mean ALL natural. Gotta try their raspados next time I’m there :) Raspados Zacatecas is AWESOME!

3. I want to visit LA!!!! It has been 100 degrees here. That would be outrageously fabulous right now.

4. Tracy says:

I was just talking about the raspados in L.A. last night with my Suegra! … In El Salvador this is more commonly called “minuta” … Can’t wait to get one when I go :)

5. Maria Amelia says:

There is nothing that compares to a fresh one. You can visit all the chains/frozen food places you like, but the taste is always chemical. This is the real stuff! You can even see it!

6. We need one in Orlando! What a refreshing treat.

7. sweetlife says:

I could for one of these today..hot,heat,humidity!! ahh

OMG! I’m going there today! Thanks for the recommendation. It’s so close to home!

9. Leslie Limon says:

I miss the raspados de L.A. Pero, my suegra makes some really good raspados too and has kept us with an unlimited supply this summer. :)

10. In Puerto Rico, we call them piraguas. Never had one with fresh juice!